Dr. Kenneth Yost will work closely with you following your tooth extraction to help you heal properly and will provide instructions to aid in the healing process to help you recover. These instructions are also provided on this page.
Your initial healing period following a tooth extraction will take one to two weeks. You may experience some swelling and discomfort for the first 48 hours after the extraction.
We recommend that you:
- Avoid chewing for at least two hours or until the anesthetic wears off
- Use an ice pack to decrease swelling
- Do not touch the extraction site with your fingers or tongue
- Do not drink through a straw
- Do not swish and spit vigorously
- Try to avoid blowing your nose or sneezing violently
- Do not rinse your mouth the day of the surgery
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products for several days after the extraction
- Relax as much as possible and avoid strenuous activity for the first 24 hours after your procedure
- Keep your head elevated
- Maintain a soft diet for 48 hours
If you have any questions or to make an appointment with our dentist in Wilmington, Delaware, call Advanced Dental Artistry today at 302-477-1888.